As a Ruby programmer, why do you choose Elixir over Crystal or vice versa?
Crystal is fast becoming pretty useful. Especially with the recent news about Parallelism(not concurrency) added to the language.
Before I started Elixir I was looking long and deep at Crystal.
I also looked long and deep at my current code bases in Rails and realized I could not run them with Crystal without a ton of rewrites — especially 3 years ago.
So we made the jump to Elixir — because there was already a lot available on the BEAM that Crystal did not have as yet.
If you were starting something new and you were a Ruby shop, Crystal would make sense at this point.
- What popular or emerging web applications are built with the Elixir language and Phoenix framework?
- How hard would it be to learn Ruby or Ruby on Rails for a Python developer?
- How mature is Elixir?
- Is Elixir worth learning even though it has so few job opportunities?
- Is Elixir (programming language) dying?
- How much of the "Programming Elixir" book must I go through before I can start learning Phoenix?
- Does being an entrepreneur require you to be a good programmer or good at coding?
- Conditionally render templates in Phoenix - Elixir